Home » Quantum International Group (QIG) – About Us » History of Quantum International Group

history

Quantum International Group’s (QIG) story all began with the establishment of  J.T. Thorpe & Son (JTT) in the aftermath of the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906. In 1908 JTT built its first industrial furnace at Standard Oil in Richmond, California, followed by refractory installations at new refineries in Benicia, Martinez and Avon – all locations within the San Francisco Bay Area.

Terra Millennium Corporation (TMC) was formed as a holding company for JTT in 1987. JTT went on to expand nationwide in the United States to include 9 regional offices.

In 2002 Brahma Group Inc. (BGI) was formed to provide mechanical and fabrication services to the industrial market place. BGI supports QIG and JTT in a variety of mechanical services in North America.

In 2003 Quantum International Group (QIG) was officially established as a wholly owned subsidiary of TMC to handle projects outside of the United States and those with global alliance business within it. QIG was formed as an engineering, procurement and construction company, combining with the strengths of JTT to bring “turnkey” services to the international marketplace.

In 2004 Thorpe Canada Corporation was established as a wholly owned subsidiary of QIG.

Today, QIG and JTT together form the largest refractory engineering, supply and construction group in North America. Our engineering group has grown to over 35 and our services reach into most industries. We specialize in the Petrochemical, Power, Incineration and Gasification industries. Our goal is to bring “single source” reliability and responsibility to our projects.